Join us for the Salton Sea Photography Workshop for a stunning photographic experience of California’s, "The Salton Sea"!
Created accidentally in a flood in the early 20th Century, the Salton Sea enjoyed immense popularity as a as a recreational destination during the 1950s and 60s, but was almost abandoned after large tropical storms devastated the area in the 1970s. The present day result is a Photographer’s paradise: abandoned houses and Googie-style signage remains from the Salton Sea’s heyday and contrast with the still vital natural surroundings and diverse avian population. Your Salton Sea Photography workshop will be unique, mysterious, and very interesting.
We will share our insight and eye for photography while introducing you to the absolute best places to shoot around the immense 525-square-mile lake. Salton Sea Photography is beautiful, mysterious, artistic to bring out your creativity.
You will learn:
- Review the basics
- Shutter speed
- New techniques and adjustments to your camera in conjunction to where and what we are shooting on our photography tour.
- Every photographer will find the location and instruction informative and inspirational. You’ll have more than enough time to shoot creatively, adjusting as we go along.
- Participants will learn to work as a team in photography, camera-handling techniques, control of natural light, how to create photos with emotional effect.
Day One (10 a.m.-sunset.)
Meet at 10 a.m. and we begin our day and then set out to go to the Salton Sea. We will work our way all the way around the lake including:
- Marina- Learn and capture stunning shots of the Salton Sea marina with picturesque piers, blue skies and the natural surroundings.
- Bombay Beach- Hints of the Salton Sea's heyday still litter the shores. Boarded-up motels, rusting boat frames, and cracked concrete swimming pools covered in graffiti are a few of the sights that remain.
- Salvation Mountain- full of interesting folk art and an inspiring man-made adobe beauty
- Three Trees- Once lush, this barren and desolate landscape includes three trees and breathtaking and peaceful images.
- Sunset at Red Rock Marina-learn how to take gorgeous sunsets shots at this beautiful spot.
- We will review the Photography Basics
Go over Composition techniques
Talk about and Shutter Speed.
Class projects include:
- Learn panoramic techniques
- Learn Stack Focus
Day Two (5:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)
Early Morning! Sunday morning we will begin with:
- Sunrise over the sea (5:30 AM)
- Salton Sea ruins
If you would like to stay with the group, we have a special rate to book at the :
Borrego Springs Resort & Spa
1112 Tilting T Drive
Borrego Springs, California 92004
Toll Free: 888-826-7734
You may book on line or call directly.
Borrego Springs Resort & Spa is situated in the foothills of the Santa Rosa Mountains.
Enjoy high-end amenities, a full-service spa, outdoor heated pool, a fully-appointed fitness center, and a golf course during your stay.
Please tell them you are with the school.
Camera (extra batteries & memory cards)
Physical Expectation: Easy to Moderate. Outdoor clothing and hiking boots recommended, sunscreen & hat.