Join us in the Salton Sea Photography Workshop for a stunning photographic experience of one of California’s most fascinating features: The Salton Sea
Created accidentally in a flood in the early 20th Century, the Salton Sea enjoyed immense popularity as a as a recreational destination during the 1950s and 60s, but was almost abandoned after large tropical storms devastated the area in the 1970s. The present day result is a Photographer’s paradise: abandoned houses and Googie-style signage remains from the Salton Sea’s heyday and contrast with the still vital natural surroundings and diverse avian population. Your Salton Sea Photography will be unique, mysterious, and very interesting.
We will share our insight and eye for Photography while introducing you to the absolute best places to shoot around the immense 525-square-mile lake.
You will learn:
- Review the basics
- Shutter speed
- New techniques and adjustments to your camera in conjunction to where and what we are shooting on our photography tour.
- Every photographer will find the location and instruction informative and inspirational. You’ll have more than enough time to shoot creatively, adjusting as we go along.
- Participants will learn to work as a team in photography, camera-handling techniques, control of natural light, how to create photos with emotional effect.
Day One (10 a.m.-10 p.m.)
Meet at 10 a.m. and we begin our day. We will work our way all the way around the lake including:
- Bombay Beach
- Salvation Mountain
- Three Trees
- Sunset at Red Rock Marina
Class projects include:
- Learn panoramic techniques
- Learn Stack Focus
Day Two (5:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.)
Early Morning! Sunday morning we will begin with:
- Sunrise over the sea ( 5:30 AM)
- Salton Sea ruins
If you would like to come out early or stay the night, we have a group rate at the Borrego Spring Resort & Spa.
Camera (extra batteries & memory cards)
Physical Expectation: Easy to Moderate. Outdoor clothing and hiking boots recommended, sunscreen & hat.